Pasta e fagioli
You can use any bean you like such as red kidney beans, butter beans, we have use cannellini beans. We have also used short cut bacon with no fat however you can use pancetta if you prefer or for vegetarians please omit and use vegetable stock.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- Pinch of chilli or chilli paste (to your taste)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 sliced short cut bacon, no fat, diced
- 1 can tomatoes, chopped or diced
- ¾ cup small pasta (shells or macaroni)
- 3 cups salt reduced chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g fresh baby spinach
- 1 tbsp. freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pot heat 1 tsp. olive oil and cook bacon for a few minutes until browned. Using another tsp. of olive oil, add onion, continue to cook until softened.
- Use remaining olive oil and add carrot, celery, rosemary, then after a few minutes the garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and then chilli.
- Add tomatoes, stock, herbs, cannellini beans and bay leaves. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes on low heat. Taste to see if enough garlic, chilli or herbs, add a little more to your taste.
- Add pasta and if you need more stock add at this stage. Simmer until pasta is cooked, finish off with spinach, this will wilt after a minute or two.
- Serve with parmesan cheese.
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1110 kJ||219 kJ|
|265 Cal||52 Cal|
|Protein||13 g||2.6 g|
|Fat, total||7.7 g||1.5 g|
|– saturated||2.3 g||0.5 g|
|Carbohydrate||30 g||5.9 g|
|– sugars||9 g||1.8 g|
|Sodium||762 mg||150 mg|